Glenn Reynolds: Don't be a sucker for socialism
Oh, who am I kidding, Bernard would never show up for this, no way he would attend his own funeral.
More after the break.
"It is a common misconception that socialism is about helping poor people. Actually, what socialism does is create poor people, and keep them poor. And that’s not by accident.
Under capitalism, rich people become powerful. But under socialism, powerful people become rich. When you look at a socialist country like Venezuela, you find that the rulers are fabulously wealthy even as the ordinary citizenry deals with empty supermarket shelves and electricity rationing."
Readers need only answer one question to determine whether Socialism is right for them: "Do you wish to return to feudalism, where you are not in the aristocracy, the clerisy, or a courtesan? No, I thought not. But Socialism is nothing more than feudalism peeled from control of land and applied to control of industry. Yes, it required a few minor alterations, but other than changing the titles of the various aristocrats, clerisy, and courtesans, few other substantive changes.
Feudalism is the systemic indenture of 80% of the population to provide wealth for the other 20%, with the vast majority of that wealth going to the top 5%. There is little movement between classes, and the wealth becomes stagnant. This is not a system I can support.
Read the whole thing.